Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Almost forgot...


Pictured: Touring bikes outside of Adventure Cycling in Missoula, MT. Many routes are planned and mapped by Adventure Cycling.

Oh yes, I just now realized that I haven't posted about what I am doing--or why I created this blog in the first place.

After my aborted experience on the PCT, I didn't want to repeat the kind of guidebook and rule driven adventure it offered. So I left the PCT and extended my original bike ride plans of around 700 miles to a much longer one. How long? I do not know. I want this trip to be open ended--not subject to or confined by a specific route. I've enjoyed reading other such blogs so I created my own. Plus, it will be a good place to rant and relieve stress.

The trip plan? In general, I will head east along what is known as the Transamerica Bike Route. See adventurecycling.com for details.

The TransAm route ends in Virginia...a state I love. I've vacationed there, I've hiked there, and I've biked there. If I ever leave Montana, Virginia will be high on my list of places to live. In fact, one of the primary reasons I selected the TransAmerica route is it's route throughVirginia, though I must profess a familair feeling of foolishness for deciding to spend the majority of trip just getting there...

I did a similarly senseless thing when I decided to hike the Appalachian Trail in 2005: I wanted to see Maine. But Maine was the terminus of the AT and by the time I arrived, some 2000 tortuous miles later, I was beat to hell and just wanted to finish.

Lessons learned are soon forgotten.

There is another reason for this trip though. I have wanted to bike across America for many years. So it's time to do it. If I enjoy it, I may go further, or, I may not.

No comments: