Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Picture Pages, Picture Pages, It's Time...

























A series of photos:
1st: Bikers meeting bikers. You can see how strong the wind was that day--it was a headwind for over 60 miles. Ouch. But it kept the mosquitos and heat away. Notice also how colorful bikers are--drivers appreciate our visibility and we appreciate their willingness to slow down and give us room.
2nd: A majestic piece of rock. This was a view from the southeastern side of Togwotee Pass--along my long descent from that pass.
3rd: The Grand Tetons. A beautiful mountain range.
4th: Top of Togwotee Pass in Wyoming. It was a loooooooong climb. But it was an even loooooonger ride down. I rode my breaks for the first 9 mile down, but then the grade lessened and I enjoyed 25 miles of a downward slope (always a few straights and uphills, but in general, it was all downhill). I stayed in Dubois, WY after this day's climb and had a wonderful burger at the Cowboy Cafe and a good stay at Trails End Motel. My neighbor that night was a woman from Bozeman, MT and her two kids...it's a small world.
One of the best aspects of this trip so far has been pulling into a small town and meeting people--cyclists, tourists, and locals. The tourists will thin out as I start to cross the plains--as will the cyclists because I am mapping my own route from Colorado on. It will be sad to no longer see other Trans Am cyclists--I've liked most I've met. As I said earlier, they are a mature and relaxed bunch. They are always smiling and each one I've met (with the expection of the three twenty year old guys) are patching together their own rides--deviating from the "guide". I've gotten some great pointers are routes and sites to see. In addition, they don't try to mooch gear, cash or dope (not that I have any) like a good number of PCT hikers did this year.
Retch...
Two women cyclists I met the other day helped me plan my route across Colorado and Kansas--their tour is similar to mine and I hope to meet them again on the Katy Trail in MO.

2 comments:

John McCreery said...

I really need to stop following your adventures! I'm going to leap from my window overlooking Euclid avenue. I'm looking out at construction equipment and rock piles, yeah progress!

Coming back to Chardon soon?

JM

goldscott said...

Hey man,

I doubt you remember me, but we met over the summer whilst you were biking east and I was heading west. We met in Kansas and traded blog addresses. How'd the rest of your trip go? My adventure is at http://goldscott.livejournal.com