Wednesday, June 25, 2008

On the road and back online


Hmm, well, I haven't been able to access this blog due to password or username issues. Blogspot switched to google email and I use yahoo, that caused a conflict. In fact, I am not really sure how I got logged in here now...oh well.

Ok, no pictures to load at the moment, I left them in my hotel room and I am in the lobby using this computer--but I think I took some nice photos so far and will post them soon.

I left Bozeman last Wednesday, June 18th. It's now the 25th--so I've been on the road for a full week now. It's been great!

The trip through Wyoming has been fantastic. Roads are in good shape--the shoulders wide and usually clean, the weather has cooperated, the drivers have been exceptionally considerate and the views outstanding. I didn't expect things to be so nice.

I've met a good number of cyclists. You can tell a fellow touring cyclist from afar--loaded bikes stand out. When they are heading towards me, we always cross over for a chat. Everyone is smiling and immediately shares their views of the road behind them (and therefore ahead of me). Cyclists are a laid back bunch. Most are older (meaning 40+) which suits me fine. I did run into a group of three just-out-of-college-testosterone-loaded-super-cyclists though. They have bretheren in the thru-hiking community as well--their age and status in life leads them to brag a bit more than may be appropriate about their mileage and pace. Oh well, boys will be boys. The other cyclists and I just wave nicely to them and encourage them on to even higher mileage and virile efforts--thereby helping them to move on...

So, here are a few stats for anyone interested.

I do 70-75 miles per day average.
My average mph is 12.
I try to get to finish the day in mid afternoon latest--this avoids the standard rocky mountain afternoon thunderstorm.
I've stayed in motels/hotels far more often than I expected.

Why the last? Well, one downside to cycling is that campsites are few and far between and usually found amidst fields of RV's. And because I finish my day's miles early, sitting in a tent in the heat, with bugs and RV motors running, is unenviable to say the least.

I did have a nice secluded camp just south of Yellowstone--I saw a thing path leading into the woods as my day ended so walked my bike down it and found a flat spot.

Ok, back to biking. Let's see. I usually get on the road between 7 and 9 AM--that will change as summer hits in earnest. I will try to be on road by 6 AM. I stop every 20 miles or so--usually at a gas station or a small, middle-of-nowhere, store. I hydrate, eat a snack, stretch a bit and then push on.

There have been some big climbs over the past few weeks--one was 23 miles long and others have been done with a headwind. A headwind is when the wind is hitting you straight on--making even a 6 mph pace quite the effort. But, at some point, I'll catch a tailwind--I look forward to that day! The climbs--they have been a challenge but definetly doable. I am rarely so fatigued at the end of the day that I can't move--I have sore thighs and a sore bum from the saddle, but that is about all.

If memory serves--I am 500 miles into the trip. I am in Laramie, WY. I will hit Colorado tomorrow and visit my Aunt and Uncle south of Fort Collins.

And by the way, I followed the mapped Transamerica route by Adventure Cycling through Wyoming, but from here on out, I will just use road maps and my GPS. It feels GREAT to do that. I am not sure of food, water and shelter each day, but something will always turn up.

I plan to cross northeastern Colorado, northern Kansas and then link up with the Katy Trail in Missouri. The Katy Trail is a rails-to-trail bike path. It's 275 miles along the Missouri river--through Missouri wine country and spotted with nie river side towns, BB's and other views. Other cyclists I've met going westbound (who also deviated from the "official" route--oOOoooooOOOohh the horror!!) tell me good things about the Katy Trail. I got the idea to ride it from my dad who likes Hermann, MO--a winery rich town along that trail.

From Missouri I will cross Illinois into Kentucky where I will bike along the Kentucky/Ohio border (along the Ohio river). My general destination is Northern Virginia from where I can visit Harpers Ferry, the Shenandoah's, Antietam and Gettsyburg.

Fun fun.

Ok, enough rambling. I will see if I can get back on later and post some pictures and perhaps a few day specific accounts of the ride so far.

No comments: