Sunday, June 15, 2008

Testing One Three...err...

Pictured: A view from a hike in the Hyalite. Bozeman's backyard.

My first test of the blogspot process. I plan to use this blog to record a pending bike trip.

So far, Blogspot is easy. It allows picture uploads...and...it's free. So it turns out that my economics professors all lied.

I used Trailjournals.com this year as well--it was a natural site to use on my PCT attempt. However, Trailjournals, much like the PCT itself, is a highly linear and narrow thing. It feels more form-like, more guided, and more constraining than what I wanted. I felt like I was balancing a budget when I used it. There are, however, benefits to Trailjournals. One of which is easy access to many other journals. It offers hours if not months of fun reads as you follow along with hundreds of hikers. It's a site that remains on my favorites list.

Hmm, but back to Blogspot. I need to figure out how to delete posts. You know, in case I post some off-the-wall-rant (what, me, rant? Noooo, get outta town!) and then regret it in the morning. Like for example, my frequent rants about "Global Warmingists " and how they like to point out that at one time, the mountains and valleys in the picture above were all covered in thick ICE fields! Glorious, picturesque, abundant ICE. You know, back in the good 'ole days before the advent of the SUV. Coincidentally, life was extinguished under all that ice. But nevermind the grim facts, they get in the way of a good "cause" or "protest".

See what I did there? An impromtu rant. I couldn't help myself. Now, let's say that I don't want to offend a portion of possible readers (hah, as if), well, I might want to rescind the rant after a good night's sleep and a healthy dose of coffee.

But, well, that is what mornings are for; regrets. And breakfast. And coffee. Actually, just hold the first, double up on the second and add hashbrowns to the third, then we're good to go.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Hi Jason,

I don’t know if you remember, but I talked with you on the flight from Bozeman earlier this month. I know it’s totally random that I found you – but I am pretty good at research (it's one of the things I picked up as a reporter).

I don’t normally look up random people I meet, but I really enjoyed our conversation. It was such an unexpected thing to find someone of like mind sitting next to me on the plane. I’ve rarely talked with anyone who had so many similar interests.

I know you have a lot going on with your family. But if you ever want to get in touch, my e-mail is r a miller 20 (at) g mail.

Hope you had a good Christmas.